Wednesday, September 14, 2011

End Tables with Birdie on Branch - September 13, 2011

Well, after taking nearly an entire month off from "reLoving" furniture...I am back!  Boy, it sure was a HOT summer!  Making it very difficult for me to get outdoors to sand and paint furniture.  Paint does funny things in high humidity and heat.  The joys of living in the Sandhills.  The first week of September brought a break in the heat wave thank goodness, still warm, but not nearly as humid!

I just finished 2 of the cutest end tables yesterday!  These tables were originally from Pier1, my mom bought them several years ago and my parents painted them white...originally they were stained a dark brown.  The tables belonged in the sitting room of my parent's beach home for about 6 years, one on each end of the pull-out couch...perfect!

It's a long story, but my brother and I actually broke one of the tables playing around one night...let's just say, I will never try to pull my muscular brother up off the floor with my bare hands...the weight distribution between us just doesn't balance out.  After we were sure my brother had not broken any ribs, my mom made the necessary repairs to the broken table, but they were never the same after that incident...



Many years later, the beach home long sold, my brother and his wife become owners to these end tables...along with their sweet boxer, Finley May.  Well, Finley thought the other (non-cracked and still in good condition) end table would make a good snack.  Yet another casualty to the end tables, a whole corner almost eaten all the way off....sigh....they just couldn't catch a break....

Before: Both tables repaired with wood filler
These tables had seen better days.  10 years later....they make their way to my house for a yard sale that we had back in June.  I see these overly beaten, chewed up, sad, pitiful looking end tables and rescue them from the yard sale pile!  I had full confidence I could bring them back to life!

Before: Crack sanded and filled with wood-filler

Before: Crack sanded and filled with wood-filler

Progress:  Wood-filler dried and sanded

Progress:  Wood-filler dried and sanded

Before:  Chewed corner with wood-filler

Before:  Chewed corner with wood-filler

After a little sanding, a lot of wood-filler, more sanding, painting, more sanding, more painting...a Birdie on a Branch cut out of scrapbook paper, and some polyurethane.....they were as good as new...and maybe even better....

After: Finished end tables with decorative touches!


After: Finished end table side view

After: Top view - with Birdie on a Branch cut-out

My own special touch underneath ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment