Thursday, July 21, 2011

1920's Mission Era Teacher's Desk - July 13, 2011


Desk Before
Desk Before (with pullout writing desk)
This desk was a great find!  I found this solid oak teacher's desk (circa 1920), virtually in mint condition, at a local thrift shop.  My husband is going back to school this fall, and the desk we have now is just far too small for the work that he will be doing.  When I saw this desk, I knew it would be perfect for the job!

Desk Top Before

The desk is from the Mission Era.  According to Wikipedia, Mission style originated in the late 19th century, and its origins can be traced back to a chair made by A.J. Forbes around 1894 in San Francisco's Swedenborgian Church. More info.

I sanded it down using 150 grit sandpaper, then added a coat of white prime.  I chose "smokey slate" as the color, the color of our bathroom that I just love, and had enough paint leftover for this redo (I love when things aren't wasted!)  It took a good two coats of paint, in some places 3 coats of paint, to completely cover this piece.  I finished it in about 3 days (had to manage around 103º temps!).

Desk Back Before
Unfortunately, the new, painted desk did not fit through the doorway to our guest bedroom/husband's office!  For some reason that particular door frame is smaller than a normal door frame.  Oh well.  I was disappointed, but we figured I could use the new desk and Kyle could take my old one...he said he didn't mind that the old one was smaller.  He's a good man.  So now I have a new desk...fun!

Desk After

Drawers and Pullout After

Desktop After (lots of space!)

I love my new desk!  Now I just need a new chair......hmmmm, next project perhaps!  Stay tuned...

Desk After

1 comment: