Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sisal Rug - June 21, 2009


Rug Before
This sisal rug belonged to my parents.  Great rug, but had seen better days.  For some reason my parents' cat took a liking to this rug...and by "liking" I mean "peeing."  She thought this was her rug and she could do whatever she wanted to it.

We needed a rug for our high traffic sunroom, something that could withstand our 2 large and hairy Golden Retrievers.  Mom donated this rug to me, it was perfect for our needs.  So after much cleaning, I decided to add several coats of paint to it after taping off the border.

I chose a cornflower blue color and went to town on the rug.  I quickly found that I needed a much bigger nap size on my paint roller.  I went with a 3/4" to 1" nap size, the size that works best when painting bricks, concrete, etc.  It worked great!  Really got in the grooves of the sisal fabric well.

Once the rug was dry, it definitely weighed much more than before...I had to use lots of paint!  The rug looked great in our sunroom and really served it's purpose well...if it could withstand 2 adults and 2 dogs, it was fine in my book.

Rug Before

Rug After (Mason and Rivers enjoying)

Rug After


No comments:

Post a Comment