Thursday, July 7, 2011

Queen Headboard - June 14, 2009

Headboard Before
This queen headboard was my husband's, Kyle's, all throughout college, and later became our headboard as newlyweds.  Kyle worked in the summers during college for a moving company.  Sometimes the people moving would leave things behind or would sell things trying to get rid of them before their move.  This headboard was one of them...perfect for a single guy in college on a fixed income, he couldn't pass up a cheap headboard.

I never much cared for it all those years.  I thought it was a little dated, probably built in the 80's (does this mean that I am also dated?).  Definitely a solid piece of furniture, nicely stained too, just needed some sprucing up.  Finally after being married a few years, Kyle let me get my hands on it!  Watch out, a woman with sandpaper, a can of paint, a wrench and a hammer!!!  Nothing good could come out of this you think....

First I sanded the entire headboard down, wiped it clean with a damp rag and then proceeded to beat the pure, living daylights out of it with a wrench and hammer!  Boy, talk about an awesome stress-reliever!  I had the best time.

Then, I began to paint.  I painted lightly over the preexisting stain that I had lightly sanded with a rusty, rosey red-colored semi-gloss, latex paint.  I still wanted some of the stain to show through to make it look a little aged and worn...like if you were born in the 80's ;o)

Finally, after the paint had ALMOST completely dried, I began to sand down the edges and corners to make it look distressed...really play into that aged look.  And voila!  She was brand new again!

A boring headboard I wasn't all that crazy about became a fresh piece of furniture that I fell in love with...it became "ReLoved!"


Headboard Before


Headboard After

Headboard After (detail)
Headboard After (detail)
Headboard After (detail)

Headboard After (with bedding!)

No comments:

Post a Comment